Data and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist with REACH Initiative
REACH Initiative are looking for an experienced Data and GIS Specialist, who is passionate about improving the humanitarian response in Ukraine to join our team of experienced, dedicated humanitarians. This senior and specialized position could be done from Lviv.
About REACH Initiative
REACH is a unique humanitarian NGO, which provides research, data, and analysis to support more effective humanitarian action in crisis contexts. By providing precise and reliable information on the humanitarian situation of populations in Ukraine, REACH’s work informs better delivery of aid and more transparent decision making. REACH is hosted in Ukraine by our sister organization ACTED.
In Ukraine, REACH has a supportive and closely working team of over 90 people, spread across seven offices, all of whom are dedicated to producing high quality research to improve the humanitarian situation for Ukrainians. Have a look at the data and analysis we produce here.
REACH is seeking a candidate with a strong background in Data and GIS to join our team as a Data and GIS Specialist. This is a senior position, which includes using creativity, improving processes, leading and implementing strategy for data and GIS integration, solving problems more efficiently, and communicating to donors how our work can support them.
Duties and Areas of Responsibility
- Support the research team on geospatial analysis and involvement of high-quality spatial data
- Use innovative analysis techniques to inform the humanitarian response in Ukraine.
- Support research, including via the definition of the meaningful geographic scope of the research, implementation of spatial data quality checks during data collection, and preparation of static and interactive maps at the reporting stage.
- Support and automate data processing and analysis using R or Python.
- Ensure overall data quality and compliance with organizational standards.
- Use creative approaches to ensure research is presented in the best way possible, including by designing dashboards, web maps, StoryMaps, or any other relevant visualization.
- Ensure operational partners have access to data and findings, by conducting presentations and attending meetings.
- Work with REACH’s partners, including UN Agencies, other NGOs, and government departments to ensure research findings are used to plan aid delivery.
- Education in Data Science, Spatial Data Science, Cartography, GIS, Remote Sensing, Natural or Human Geography is desirable but not required. At least 2 years of work experience in the Data/GIS /Remote Sensing/Information Management sphere is required.
- Experience in information management and data processing preferably in the sphere of social sciences.
- Experience in working with complex geospatial data, automation of mapping workflows, and the ability to make visually appealing mapping products is desirable.
- Prior experience using ArcGIS Pro or QGIS is required. Experience with GDAL, Python, or R and the ability to automate workflows is desirable.
- Experience with R language and ability to write complex scripts and work with ggplot2, survey and shiny libraries.
- Passion for storytelling using data and experience with data visualization using PowerBI, R, Python, Tableu or any other similar tools.
- Experience in web-mapping including development of web-maps using AGOL, Leaflet, Mapbox or any similar tools.
- Availability of a portfolio with examples of prior data visualization projects is a strong asset.
- Prior experience in the humanitarian sector is desirable but not required.
- Fluency in Ukrainian and/or Russian, and good spoken English required.
- Highly motivated and passionate about improving the humanitarian response in Ukraine.
Terms and Conditions
This full-time post is for an initial 6 months, with renewal following successful completion. The salary and benefits package is competitive and based on the candidates experience and skills.
REACH believes investing in each staff is a critical part of our work. As a member of the team, you will receive training and the opportunity to participate in learning and development.
Please submit a CV in English to apply for this position. Please make sure your CV clearly shows why you would be a good fit for this position with REACH.