The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavor's to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Established in 1863, the ICRC is at the origin of the Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. Please visit www.icrc.org for more information. In 2014 and recently, the ICRC expanded its presence in Ukraine. There are more than 600 ICRC staff working in Kyiv, Donetsk, Luhansk, Dnipro, Poltava, Sloviansk, Odesa and Vinnytsiya.
The ICRC Delegation in Kyiv seeks to fill the following position:
Water and Habitat (WatHab) Engineer based in Dnipro (frequent travel to the field)
AIM OF THE POSITION
Water and Habitat Engineer plans, designs and implements engineering projects within the scope of the ICRC's water and habitat assistance objectives with supervision and coaching from their hierarchical superior. S/he monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys, and plans new projects. S/he has a close working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects.
- Participates in the assessments, collecting and compiling technical information related to the rehabilitation and construction works.
- Prepares technical assessment of buildings and report through technical notes.
- preparations of products and services (incl.
- Participates in the preparation of contractual documents, including advertisement, detailing payment terms, selection of winning contractor through criteria, and organizing payment according to measured works and ensure procedures and confidentiality are respected.
- Supervises daily workers and contractors in order to ensure that minimum standards of construction works are respected and are acceptable.
- Familiarity with the standard norms and rules in construction (known as SniP, DSTU, DBN), knowledge of local techniques and requirements for construction.
- Coaches teams in the other ICRC offices, eg Odessa, Dnipro, Poltava on how to start new projects related to the rehabilitation and construction of civilian objects.
- Collaborates with Logistics Department, in particular when it comes to the quality evaluations of procured goods and construction materials.
- Provides information to their supervisor and project colleagues on stakeholder issues, security and site progress.
- Manages project purchasing on labor and materials according to the delegation's logistical and financial rules.
- Creates and maintains paper or electronic files up-to-date.
The tasks and responsibilities defined above are not exhaustive and can evolve depending on organizational needs.
Education and professional qualifications
- University degree in civil or structural engineering, architecture or similar;
- 3-5 years' professional work experience in construction or designing or similar field of activity;
- Excellent command (spoken and written) Russian and English languages.
- Proficient in the designing software (AutoCAD) and preparation of Bills of Quantities.
- Advanced knowledge of water and sanitation and/or construction engineering.
- Good computer literacy (Excel/Word), and MS Project Management Suite or equivalent.
- Experience managing 1–3 technical support staff;
- Be a Ukrainian citizen or have a work permit in the country.
- Genuine interest to work for the humanitarian sector;
- High level of motivation, commitment to accuracy;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and taking initiatives;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- strong sense of responsibility;
- capacity to adhere to and to implement procedures;
- Ability to work methodically with demonstrated analytical skills;
- Genuine interest to work in humanitarian aid field;
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service attitude;
- Strong sense of autonomy and responsibility;
- good team player.
We offer a rewarding and enriching work in a humanitarian and international environment, and also:
- Initial training and on-boarding organized
- Opportunity to work and grow in an international working environment in the humanitarian sector
- Good working condition and competitive salary with benefits
Starting date: asap or November 2022
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your CV, along with your motivation letter in English and salary expectations l only to the attention of Human Resources Department:
Deadline for applications: 17/10/2022
Only candidates meeting the above-mentioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and/or interviews. No queries by phone please.